Nurturing/ Teaching Courses
Live and Let Live
A Christian Perspective on BiotechnologyEditorial Reviews
This is the age of cutting edge biotechnology. With the completion of the mapping of the human genome in 2000, we are poised for a great leap in life-changing biotechnological discoveries and innovations. Some of the many issues Christians shall face at the dawning of the 21st Century are:
• When does a human life begin?
• Is abortion allowed?
• Should Christian couples consider In Vitro Fertilisation (IVF) or ‘test tube babies’ for their infertility problem?
• Should we allow ‘embryo reduction’ if there are too many embryos in successful IVF?
• What shall we do about ‘spare embryos’?
• What is therapeutic and reproductive cloning?
• Should human cloning be allowed?
• Is a ‘human’ clone a human being?
• Shall we allow embryonic stem cell research to continue?
• What are the promises of stem cell research?
• How will the practice of medicine be changed by new discoveries in biotechnology?
• Will you like to grow a new heart?
• Should scientist be allowed to make changes or ‘improve’ the human blueprint?
• Design your own baby?
• What is human eugenics?
The Bible does not give specific answers to these questions. Using biblical principles, this book seeks to help Christians to understand and be informed about these issues. Some of these questions may sound like science fiction. We have seen the way the silicon revolution of computers; mobile phones and the Internet have changed our lives within a decade. The biotechnology revolution has already begun. We are just beginning to experience its effect. We are living in ‘interesting times’.
Book Review and Comments
Synopsis from SKS Books:
"Informed minds, hearts on fire and who are contemplatives in action".
Bold...visionary...words on a mission.
In this new book by bible teacher and writer Alex Tang, he brings to the grind the many presuppositions undergirding the modern biotechnological revolution which has inundated the postmodern world.
Written from the perspective of a Christian and a practicing medical doctor in the area of paediatrics; be engaged with the related issues of abortion, stem cell research, reproductive cloning, etc.
A daring and modest attempt to think as a Christian on the pervading culture of our times.
"treat, heal, and comfort always"
"spiritual forming disciples of Jesus Christ with informed minds, hearts on fire and contemplative in actions"
Except where otherwise
noted, content on this site is
© 2006-2017 Alex Tang